Thursday, June 28, 2012

What we've been eating: May & June

It's been a LONG time since I've posted so these are by no means what we've eaten in a week's time period.  I've been really bad about taking pictures and keeping up with things.  There's been a lot going on in the Buss household, but enough of the excuses.  Here are a few food dinner pictures that I did manage to snap.  Hope they give you some inspiration.  I always love getting new ideas from people too, so if you've made something particularly yummy lately, let me know in the comments.  :)

 Baked BBQ chicken, buttered carrots and broccoli, and corn.
Fast, easy and something that everyone likes.  I confess the bbq sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's. Not a healthy "real food" option but it tastes good and I didn't have time to make a homemade sauce.  I haven't found a homemade one that I like better than SBRs.  Any suggestions?


 Shrimp stir fry with leftover veggies (red and yellow peppers, asparagus, broccoli and onions) made with coconut oil and coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.


 Salmon with garlic green beans and baked potatoes.  
Another fast meal that both kids like.


Creamy pasta and broccoli.
This was a clean out the fridge night.  See the two kinds of pasta?  lol


 Mexican pinto beans and rice topped with cheese, salsa, and guacamole.  
Very frugal and yummy.


 Bacon, spinach, cheddar ranch quesadillas.  
Took these to potluck one night and they were a hit. Again, still using bottled ranch.  Woops.  I have yet to find a homemade one that still doesn't contain bad ingredients like mayo loaded with soybean oil so right now I'm still using Hidden Valley.  Moderation right?  :)


 Beef and broccoli with rice and peas.
This was a super fast meal because it was made with leftover steak that we had the night before.  I love re-purposing meals.  One leftover filet fed all four of us when added to a lot of broccoli, garlic, and coconut aminos.  Not too shabby.

 Vegetable quinoa.  Yes sometimes we eat meatless meals.  Quinoa has a lot of protein in it so I sometimes make it with meatless dishes.  This was a super fast meal and my 14 month old gobbled it up.  Makes a great lunch too.  I sauted all the veg (carrots, onions, green beans, red peppers) in butter first, added garlic and salt and pepper.  Added 1.5 cups rinsed quinoa and let toast for a few minutes.  Added 3 cups broth and let cook for 12 minutes. 


Kabobs:  Marinated chicken, pineapple, red and orange peppers and onions.  We all enjoyed this meal and ate every bit of it much to my dismay.  I had planned to chop up the leftovers to put in quesadillas with pepper jack cheese.  :(



So there you have it.  A few of the good eats in the Buss household over the past couple of months.  What's been cookin' in your kitchen?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmm this all looks so good! Have you tried mixing ranch dressing mix with sour cream or maybe Greek yogurt? And maybe thin it out with milk?

A place where I share all of my ideas on faith, healthy living, and family.