Monday, October 29, 2012

Salmon Patties



It's funny how your tastebuds change over time.  I have distinct memories of dread from my childhood of mom cracking open a can of smelly fishy salmon, knowing that it would soon be on our dinner table, and I would be expected to eat that weird fish pancake.  Oddly enough it was one of my brother's favorite meals.  I never did understand how it could be a favorite of his, that is until recent years.  Now I happily serve it to my family as a nourishing and inexpensive meal, polishing off every last bit of those thin crispy flavorful delights.  I have made some changes from the way my mom and dad used to make them.  Their original version calls for crushed saltines, and as delightful as they are, saltine crackers just aren't the healthiest if we're being honest.  I now use blanched almond meal/flour in its place, and honestly I can't really tell the difference.  Still yummo.  I always serve it alongside mac and cheese, just like my momma used to.  Some things never change.  I do usually use gluten free rice pasta when I make it though.  I hope you like this revamped recipe straight from my parents' Kentucky kitchen.

Salmon patties
1 can 7.5 wild caught sockeye salmon
1/3 c. blanched almond meal/flour
1/4 c. milk
1 egg (pasture/free range best)
1/4 of an onion minced
sea salt and pepper to taste (only start with a small amount)

Drain salmon and place in bowl, removing undesirable parts.  I remove the large parts of the skin and large center bone.  The small bones are rich in calcium and can be easily crushed so I keep them.  Add remainder of ingredients and mix well with fork.  It should be pretty wet, but you may have to adjust to get a decent consistency.  In cast iron pan, melt 2 T. butter over medium heat.  Scoop out small amount of salmon mixture, flatten in hands and place in pan.  I like mine thin, so I sometimes flatten it a bit more when it gets in the pan.  Cook for a few minutes until golden brown and flip, continuing to cook for another few minutes.

I like to eat mine plain, my family likes them with ketchup, and they would also be great with a homemade aoli or tarter sauce.  Enjoy!

No comments:

A place where I share all of my ideas on faith, healthy living, and family.