Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mongolian beef



I don't know about you but I love Chinese takeout.  I also have a thing for Pei Wei, the scaled down version of P.F. Changs.  One dish that I am particularly fond of is Mongolian beef.  You know, that sweet, salty, and slightly spicey beef dish with the green onions in it.  Yeah that's the one I'm talking about.  It's delicious.  This is a quick and tasty version of the original healthified so it's made without soybean oil, genetically modified cornstarch and soy sauce, and brown sugar.  We all enjoyed this dish and I'm sure it will be one that I make again and again when I need a quick meal.  I served ours with stir fried garlic green beans and cauliflower "rice".  All three things came together in under 30 minutes.  You can't even order take out and have it delivered in that time.  The price tag was much cheaper too, even using grass fed beef, and you can feel better about your health since you cooked it at home using healthy high quality ingredients!

Mongolian beef:  serves 2-3
1 T coconut oil
1 lb. grass fed steak (skirt or flank both work well) sliced thinly
2 green onions sliced on the diagonal

Sauce
1.5 T coconut oil
3 cloves minced or pressed garlic
1/8 t. ground ginger
1/3 c. coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative)
1/4. c. raw honey
1/8 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1 T arrowroot powder (natural thickener)


In a small sauce pan, heat 1.5 T coconut oil over Med-high heat.  Add garlic and cook for just a few seconds.  Whisk in ginger, coconut aminos, honey, and red pepper flakes.  Cook for a few minutes until well combined and sauce is smooth.  Take off of heat and whisk in arrowroot powder until sauce is smooth and thickened.

 While sauce is cooking, in a cast iron skillet or wok, heat 1 T of coconut oil over Med-high heat.  Add sliced beef and stir fry for a couple of minutes until cooked through.

Pour sauce over top of beef.  Add sliced green onions.  Stir to combine.  Serve hot alongside rice or cauliflower "rice".

No comments:

A place where I share all of my ideas on faith, healthy living, and family.