Thursday, January 26, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Bowl


I am such a sucker for a cheesesteak sandwich.  It's hard for me to resist it on any menu.  I absolutely love steak but then when you add those deliciously grilled thinly sliced peppers, onions, and mushrooms topped with melty gooey cheese.  Come on...forget about it.  This could easily be made into a sandwich by just putting it on a hoagie bun, but I couldn't find sprouted buns, so we just had the filling.  It did not disappoint.  The trick is to slice the steak as thin as you possibly can and don't cook it too long or it will get too tough.  The best part about this meal is that it came together in about 15 minutes.  We served ours with a big salad for a complete meal. 


Philly Cheesesteak Bowl
serves 2-3

1/2 lb. grass-fed steak sliced thinly (skirt, sirloin, or ribeye would all work well)
1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
1 onion thinly sliced
4 oz. mushrooms sliced
2 T. butter (grassfed best)
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 T. hot sauce
2 oz. cheese (provolone or mozzarella work well)
salt and pepper

Heat oven to broil.  Season steak liberally with salt and pepper. In a oven safe skillet (I used cast iron), melt butter and then add Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.  Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until veggies are crisp tender. Add steak and stir fry until steak is done.  Top with cheese and put under broiler until cheese is melted.  You may add more salt and pepper if desired.

Adapted from Health-Bent

No comments:

A place where I share all of my ideas on faith, healthy living, and family.