As much as I love to cook, I don't always have the time, energy, or money to make a huge complicated meal seven nights a week. We're often on the go, making it tempting to run through a fast food drive through. I know fast food isn't the best option for us so instead I've started carefully planning meals so that I can cook one large piece of meat and use if for several different meals later in the week. I like to call this connected meal planning. I have started buying pastured chickens, pork and grass fed beef which is much pricier than conventional grain fed meat. One whole chicken can typically cost anywhere from $15-$25 depending on the size of the bird. If I were to use that for only one meal, I would likely go broke! Instead, I cook a whole chicken about once a month and try to stretch it out to 3-5 more meals. This saves me time in the kitchen and money in my pocket. If I had a very large family, I would cook two chickens and use this same method. I do want to mention that just because you can get 5 meals out of one chicken doesn't mean you have to have chicken every night in the same week. I personally like a little more variety. Many things can be frozen like a casserole dish, soups, enchiladas, etc. This makes dinner even easier for later in the week. Just thaw and pop in the oven or heat on the stove. So here we go.
Meal one:
Roasted chicken.
This is delicious with roasted veggies, mashed potatoes (in moderation), and gravy. This is one of my favorite meals. If you make this, take out 2-4 cups of chicken for future meals or you will eat it all and won't have any left. :) Save the bones and immediately throw them in a pot of water to prep for my meal 3 below. The rest of the meat can be used for the following dishes:
Meal two:
Chicken salads. This one is super quick and easy. Use this for a night where you feel lazy or need something on the table quickly. I only use one chicken breast that I took off the chicken first. This gets chopped up for the two adults. My 3 year old eats some of the dark meat. If your kids say they don't like salad like mine does, don't stress. Serve them components of the salad like the chicken, hard boiled eggs, avocados, carrot sticks, etc and let them dip them in the salad dressing. I usually also have Bailey choose a fruit to add to it too or make her a quick smoothie.
Meal three:
Chicken soup. After you have deboned your roasted chicken, use the bones to make chicken stock overnight. Reserve 8 cups of the chicken stock the next day, add 1-2 cups of shredded chicken, cut up veggies, salt, seasonings, and rice if you prefer. I usually don't add rice to mine. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes until veggies are tender. Another quick and very healthy meal. It's particularly good if you have someone who is sick in the family or in the winter when you are trying to prevent illness. Chicken soup really is good for the soul and body. It's also great for getting rid of extra produce in your fridge. Just throw whatever you have on hand in the pot. You may come up with a combo that you love.
Meal four:
Chicken, broccoli and rice casserole. This is a true comfort food. Once the chicken is cooked and especially if you use leftover rice, this comes together quickly and will be a hit for even the little ones in your family. I don't have an actual recipe for this because I still need to tweak it, but it was basically leftover chicken, leftover rice, chopped up broccoli, homemade mayo, sour cream, chicken broth, cheddar cheese. Season, stir together and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Meal five:
Use the rest of the broth in a casserole or in a soup that calls for broth such as this creamy tomato soup or kale and white bean soup. The possibilities are endless. You still get the benefits of the meat from the broth without having to use actual meat.4
Other favorite leftover chicken dishes: Chicken enchiladas, chicken tacos, quesadillas, paninis, cold sandwiches, chicken pot pie, stuffed in pitas, chicken fried rice, chicken curry.
Grain free options: salads, chicken lettuce wraps, shredded bbq chicken, chicken taco salads
So as you can see, homemade food doesn't have to take a long time and doesn't have to be expensive. To get the most bang for your buck and to save yourself time in the kitchen, it just takes a little advanced thought. I promise the more you do it, the easier it gets and you'll wonder why you never did it this way before.
ANY OTHER IDEAS FROM YOU? HOW DO YOU LIKE TO STRETCH YOUR FOOD?
No comments:
Post a Comment