Thursday, September 29, 2011

kale and white bean soup



Soup is such a great way to stretch a buck and extremely versatile.  You can throw just about anything into a pot with some broth and call it a day.  This was part of my 30 Day Challenge .  I made it early in the week so we could eat it for lunches.  I just love this hearty soup.  It's a bowl full of health with the kale, garlic, onions, and carrots.  This was also made with my own broth which is extremely frugal, tasty, and healthy.  It tastes so much better for you than store bought and much more healthy.  You could add sausage, bacon, chicken, or other protein to it if you wanted but I didn't since I was working with a tight budget and the beans already have protein.  If you don't do beans, try it with some other protein.  Hope you like it.

2 T choice of fat- butter, coconut oil, animal fat, etc.
1 onion diced
4-5 carrots sliced
3 cups white beans (precooked if using dried)
large bunch of kale(stems removed and chopped)
bay leaf
2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
6 cups broth

Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat.  Add onions, carrots and saute until onions are soft.  Add remaining ingredients, stir.  Bring to a boil and then turn back heat and let simmer for 30-60 minutes.



No comments:

A place where I share all of my ideas on faith, healthy living, and family.