I am currently in a ladies Bible study called Conversation Peace. My motivation for going to ladies' Bible study is two-fold: to delve deeper into God's word and to have time away from my family to rejuvenate with other women. It's my "me-time" and I'm so thankful to have it because some days I feel like I am seconds away from losing it. If you are a mom or really anyone for that matter, I'm sure you can relate.
So far in this study I have really been convicted. It is all about transforming our speech, and let me tell you, mine could use some transforming. Ask my husband and kids if you don't believe me. Now you won't find me cursing like a sailor or telling my husband or kids that they are trash but you will find me losing my temper and yelling...a lot. You'll find me being short (keep your short jokes to yourself) with my husband when I've had a trying day. You'll find me bad-mouthing people behind their backs. Basically you'll find me doing many things that are not in accordance to what God's word says my speech should be like and it's truly shameful. Sometimes I will lose my temper with my kid and step back and think, "Did I really just do that? How did that so easily come out of my mouth?"
This study has been so timely for me because God has already been showing me my problem for quite some time by my mimicking 3 year old. I have seen her grit her teeth and be rude to our dog, squint her eyes at me and say something ugly, and say things that I think where did she get that from? It doesn't take long before the finger is pointed right back to the person that she spends the most time with...ME! OUCH! So when I found out that our women's ministry was offering this study, I knew I needed to go. The mirror, that is my daughter, reflecting my behavior was enough to send anyone to their knees to plead for God's transforming power.
Last week we learned about the power of the tongue, how it directs your path, has the power of life and death, and can destroy or cultivate good. I got such great nuggets of wisdom in the first week. This particular Proverb really hit home. A fool shows his annoyance (or quick temper) at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult. Proverbs 12:16 How many times in a day have I been quick to show my annoyance or temper at my kids, husband, church, dog, etc? Can I get an amen? :) I'm sure you can relate.
This week we are learning about how words are the overflow of the heart. What you say has a direct correlation with what is in your deepest most inner part or the condition of your heart.
“Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a
tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its
fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an
evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him." Matthew 12:33-35
Jesus spoke much on the condition of the heart. The Pharisees were always concerned with "doing right on the surface" and Jesus constantly confronted them with the simple truth that the Lord looks past the surface and looks straight to the heart to our motives, intentions, inner thoughts and feelings. He said to clean up the inside of the cup first and the outside would be clean (Matthew 23:25-26). What he meant was to work on my heart condition and the outer part of me would take care of itself. How is my relationship with the Lord? Am I seeking after him? Am I storing up good in my heart? If not, the fruit that I bear or my actions and words will definitely be shown by the overflow of my heart.
Lord, let the overflow of my heart be pleasing to you! Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
No comments:
Post a Comment