Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tilapia with mango salsa


If you like flavor, this is your meal. Fish by itself is not one of my favorite things. I'll eat it but I much prefer it doctored up with a fresh salsa, sauce, or salad. Tilapia is such a mild fish that it pretty much pairs with anything and just melts into the background. I had bought a mango on sale at the store this week and we had tons of tomatoes from our garden so mango salsa seemed to be a natural fit. If you've never had mango salsa before, try it. It's delicious. I've also put red onion and cilantro in it before but Ken doesn't like cilantro and onions have been bothering him lately so I didn't add either. This salsa would also be good over chicken and even porkchops. I once again was in a hurry and on my way up to church the night I made this so I needed a quick side. Garlic green beans for the win. They are frozen long skinny ones and made such a yummy quick compliment to the fish. I simply sauteed them in bacon grease, added 1-2 cloves of fresh pressed garlic and some salt and pepper. Delish!

What Bailey ate: She said fish smelled disgusting but loved the mango and tomatoes. She ate mango, tomatoes, green beans, strawberries and peanut butter.


Tilapia with mango salsa

Tilapia (I made two small fillets per person)
coconut oil
salt and pepper

salsa
1 mango diced
1 tomato diced
1/4 large red pepper diced
1 clove garlic pressed
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp basil
2 T olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar

Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Chill in refrigerator until ready to eat. Heat 2 T coconut oil in skillet. Season fish with a slight amount of salt and pepper or only pepper. Cook fish fillets for just a few minutes on each side until fish begins to flake. When plating, top with a generous serving of fresh mango salsa.


No comments:

A place where I share all of my ideas on faith, healthy living, and family.