I simply took a metal cookie sheet that we didn't use because it didn't fit in our oven and spray painted it black with spray paint that I had used from a previous project. Then I bought some decorative contact paper, cut it to fit the inside of the cookie sheet and simply peeled and stuck it in there. Next I printed off the words, CHORES, TO DO and DONE, cut them out and Mod Podged it where I wanted them. Lastly I went searching for free clipart online that represented her chores, printed them out and used the mod podge again to adhere them to large round magnets that I found at Target. Bailey helped me with the project and is so excited about doing her chores now so she can move the magnets to the DONE side. I'm sure this excitement won't last forever but it's a good way to get her in the habit now.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
New Magnetic Chore Chart
Bailey is getting to the age now where I want to start teaching her some responsibility. Yes she is only three, but I don't want to raise kids that don't do anything around the house and grow up not knowing how to take care of themselves let alone anyone else. My husband and I thought it would be a good time to start her on some chores. I consulted my trusty facebook friends to get their ideas on what jobs their kids have to around the house. They all had some great ideas, everything from dusting to washing windows. I don't think she is quite ready for washing windows yet...um...let's be honest...I'm not ready for washing windows yet. lol We decided on four chores for her to do everyday. They are feeding the dog, making her bed, picking up toys, and brushing teeth. Ok so brushing her teeth isn't quite a chore, but it's one that we sometimes forget (the shame) so I wanted to include it in there to establish a better routine. I wanted a fun chore chart because you know me, I love a good craft project. After looking on pinterest for some inspiration, I came up with my own design and I love it! It's cute, functional and cheap which makes it a win in my book. All of the items I had at home already except the colored contact paper and magnets. If you were buying everything from scratch it could get a little pricey, so I would suggest looking for items you already have at home and improvising. Here's what I did.
I simply took a metal cookie sheet that we didn't use because it didn't fit in our oven and spray painted it black with spray paint that I had used from a previous project. Then I bought some decorative contact paper, cut it to fit the inside of the cookie sheet and simply peeled and stuck it in there. Next I printed off the words, CHORES, TO DO and DONE, cut them out and Mod Podged it where I wanted them. Lastly I went searching for free clipart online that represented her chores, printed them out and used the mod podge again to adhere them to large round magnets that I found at Target. Bailey helped me with the project and is so excited about doing her chores now so she can move the magnets to the DONE side. I'm sure this excitement won't last forever but it's a good way to get her in the habit now.
I simply took a metal cookie sheet that we didn't use because it didn't fit in our oven and spray painted it black with spray paint that I had used from a previous project. Then I bought some decorative contact paper, cut it to fit the inside of the cookie sheet and simply peeled and stuck it in there. Next I printed off the words, CHORES, TO DO and DONE, cut them out and Mod Podged it where I wanted them. Lastly I went searching for free clipart online that represented her chores, printed them out and used the mod podge again to adhere them to large round magnets that I found at Target. Bailey helped me with the project and is so excited about doing her chores now so she can move the magnets to the DONE side. I'm sure this excitement won't last forever but it's a good way to get her in the habit now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A place where I share all of my ideas on faith, healthy living, and family.
2 comments:
Tara, You are a genius girl!! I had the kids do chores too and we kept track on a calendar but how much cooler is this? And easier too! Way to go!! This way you can also tell at a glance what chore didn't get done that day. You are so creative! I just love you!! You are a great mom!
And for the record, I totally agree with your line of thinking. That's why my kids still have chores. I tell my friends, my job as a mother is to do my best to teach my children to be God fearing, good citizens with good values and morals. I also want them to be able to function on their own. This includes, being able to cook, clean and maintain a home. Also how to work a budget. I've been told I'm mean, I'm a slave driver (that's their dad's fav. term for me.. LOL). But, you know what?? In the end, if they can take care of themselves and others, then it will be worth all the hassle. I also think chores help teach a good work ethic. Your boss will expect you to do your job right, and so do I! Otherwise, it doesn't count.
Ok, sorry... I'll step down off my soap box now. LOL! But you're doing a great job and I truly enjoy watching all the creative ways you come up with to raise your kiddos. Love You!!
Andie
Thanks for the comment! And for the record, you've got great kids so you must have done something right! Love ya!
Post a Comment