I preach a lot about healthy eating/real food and the number one thing that I hear back is that it is too expensive to eat healthy. While it is true that sometimes boxed food can be cheaper than if you were to buy fresh ingredients and cook them yourself, I still don't buy this myth. It's my firm belief that you can feed your family on a budget without sacrificing nutrition and resorting to unhealthy processed food. To make sure what I believe is actually doable, I am challenging myself.
Currently I spend $100/week on groceries and household items. I am going to attempt to cut this in HALF, so our weekly budget will now be $50 a week to feed 3-4 people (I will cook portions for 4 people). Eli is not eating solid food but will start before the whole 30 days is over.
Is this going to be a challenge for me? OH YES! Is it doable? I think so, at least I hope so, or my whole belief system on food and what I've been "preaching" is all down the drain. So I'm putting my challenge in front of you for all to see and keep me accountable. I'll put my receipts on here as well as meals and recipes so you can see that I'm not cheating. We have been eating mostly grain/gluten/legume free, but for this purpose, my main goal is to eliminate processed foods, so whole grains/beans/etc would be considered ok in moderation. Every meal won't be spaghetti or beans and rice.
Oh and one more thing. This also includes eating out so if we decide to go get ice cream one night and spend $10, our food budget gets cut to $40. Make sense? I'm excited about this and excited about the extra $ that we should have in the bank at the end of the 30 days as well. :) Stay tuned! I usually do my shopping Sunday or Monday so I will begin this Monday.
2 comments:
I can't wait to hear how it goes! I tried eating organic for a while and it was hard on the pocketbook. I think you may have more options where you live than here in Henderson though...
I will buy as much organic as fits into the budget. It won't be my top priority but it will be something I try to get, especially at the end of the 30 days when I start making Eli's food. We do have more options like Whole Foods and Trader Joes but I will probably do my shopping where I normally do, Schnucks, the store right by my house. WF and TJ's are about 20 minutes away. I will probably be checking Aldi, Dierbergs, and Shop and Save (all local grocery stores). Eek! I'm nervous! :)
Post a Comment